Best books for writers, authors and self-publishers
Yes, there are thousands of books out there for writers, authors and self-publishers but these are my all-time favourites. They range from books about how to write a memoir to books on how authors can advertise on Amazon, through to book marketing ideas and how to keep the creative juices flowing.
Affiliate disclosure: If you click on one of these links and go on to buy a book (ebook, audio or print) through these services, I may receive a small amount in marketing compensation which will go toward the maintenance of this site and my own writing pursuits and book collection. Thank you! FYI: It won’t increase the price you pay. But also, if you can support independent bookstores by ordering through them that is great too – and there is always your local library!
Books for Australian writers and authors
- Look – It’s Your Book! Write, publish and promote your non-fiction book: A self-publishing guide for Australian writers by Anna Featherstone (out Feb 22, 2022). Read reviews here and see the contents list here.
- How to Be An Author: The Business of Being an Author in Australia by Georgia Richter and Deborah Hunn via your local bookstore, Booktopia or Amazon
- So You Want To Be a Writer: How to get started while you still have a day job by Allison Tait and Valerie Khoo via your local bookstore, Booktopia or Amazon
Books for writers on creativity, craft and the writing journey
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert via your local bookstore, Booktopia or Amazon
- Bird by Bird by Annie Lamott via your local bookstore, Booktopia or Amazon
- On Writing by Stephen King via your local bookstore, Booktopia or Amazon
- Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg via your local bookstore, Booktopia or Amazon
your local bookstore, Booktopia
Books for writers and authors about planning a book
- How to Write a Book Proposal by Michael Larsen and Jody Rein via your local bookstore, Booktopia or via Amazon